Thursday, November 18, 2010

We're so smart!

I'm learning that the most annoying part of touring schools is the parents.

Maybe it's the places I'm picking, but every time I go on a tour, a good 20 minutes is spent discussing the Advanced Placement or gifted programs. For kindergarten.

I have no problem with advanced curriculum, if Marina tests into those classes (which actually don't start until second or third grade), then good for her. But if she doesn't, she doesn't. I'm not one of these parents that behaves as if they've got some sort of genius child (even though I do).

The school I went to this morning was especially terrible about this. The place is called Grant Elementary and it a K-8th grade in Mission Hills, a well-to-do and trendy area of San Diego.
I know three people who went there and they are all great, smart, funny people that I like very much. It also has high test scores and high popularity rankings and I was expecting this to be my first choice.

Maybe that's why I'm extra disappointed.

I showed up five minutes late because of traffic and already they were talking about AP and GATE programs. And all the parents were asking all these ridiculous questions about tests and skill levels and are the smart kids separated from the "other" kids.

(There was a lot of discussion about separation at this school, actually. Smart versus regular/poor versus paid daycare/little versus big kids.)

The school used to be a science magnet but the district took away its magnet status a few years ago. I asked the principal and she said they weren't bringing in enough outside students, but she also insinuated that there was some politics involved.

I also got the feeling - and this is only a gut feeling - that the neighborhood wasn't so into being diversified. One of the people on the tour was a resident and she said "so there's no bussing anymore, right?" like it was a good thing.

Another issue is that the school isn't getting much money from the district because it's in such a wealthy neighborhood. They don't qualify for a lot of programs, like Title I, and so there's very little money for art, PE and extras. The campus isn't all that wonderful, either. Lots of trailer type classrooms. I can't even tell you what the actual rooms were like because they didn't take us inside. They didn't want to disrupt the class.

But I kind of tuned out when I heard that you have to apply for their after-school care. The day ends at 2:15 and there are two options for after school: the Head Start program which you have to qualify financially for and doesn't start until first grade. And a daycare that only accepts 150 students complete with a two-year waiting list.

If I have to point out a positive, I'll say that the kindergarten area is very cute, separate from the rest of the school and each class has its own bathroom so the kids don't have to wander around.

It does seem to have a very strong community feeling to it, but if you don't live there then what? If I did live in Mission Hills, I think I'd be perfectly happy sending my kids there.

But I don't. So the search goes on.

1 comment:

PGMG said...

Love your blog. I can totally relate. When we lived in North Park I went through this every year with my daughter, who is now in 2nd grade. And every year we were denied our "choices" in the San Diego Unified "school choice" program. We bought a house out in Fletcher Hills over the summer, and finally she's at a great school, and we didn't even have to choice in. What a relief...