Monday, August 11, 2008

The fever. Olympic fever.

For someone who isn't very athletic, I'm surprisingly into the Olympics.

Maybe it's because my Aunt Nancee took me to the 1984 Equestrian Event. Or because my grade school best friend, Samantha, her dad had 1984 Olympics personalized license plates and we were all in awe of them.

So I was super excited for the Opening Ceremonies, which is obviously the best part of the entire games.

The bummer is that Matt was going out and the babies would be asleep and I'd be stuck watching it alone all night. No fun.

Instead, I told Marina that on this one day, if she was good, she could stay up late and watch Olympics. She has no idea what Olympics means. But stay up late? Watch TV? On Mommy's bed? Hellsyeah she's gonna be good.

We cozied up under a blanket, five pillows propped her up so she could see the TV. Every few minutes she looked at me and whispered "Olympics!" like we were sharing something secret.

And then they started. With all those Chinese drummers playing at the same time. It was amazing. Marina was mesmerized.

This picture is dark, and sideways. But here she is imitating the drummers:


The spectacle and the lights left such an impression that I think I found my lifelong Olympic buddy.

(Next time, she'll be old enough to stay up for the Parade of Nations, aka global fashion show. Woohoo!)

No comments: