Monday, April 5, 2010

300th Post! Mega Earthquake Edition!

Apparently I have turned into my mother.

Back in my innocent days, when I thought earthquakes were the most fun thing, ever, (they did seem to always fall around my birthday) my mom used to freak the eff out.

She'd scream "EARTHQUAKE!!!" and then run outside. Sometimes she'd say something super nutty like, "EVERYONE RUN INTO THE CANYON!! NOW!!!"

Everyone would laugh later, and be like, oh that Susy, she's always freaking out about earthquakes.

Well guess what.

Yesterday we had one of the biggest earthquakes I've ever felt (7.2, centered in inland Baja). And, granted, I had a pretty high fever (102) and some sort of stomach flu. But when I felt everything move, I sort of screamed and I ran out the front door. I ran out the front door! Alone! I left Matt and the girls sitting at the table!

I quickly realized what the hell I was doing and went back inside to collect a child, though I don't even remember who I was holding. And all this time, from when I felt the first shake to when I ran outside to when I went back in to when I went back out, the ground was still shaking! All that time! ALL OF IT.

Is that grounds for worst mother of the year? I'm sure if I was celebrating Easter I would have been banished into a puff of smoke or something.

So, to Marina and Ella and Matt: I'M SO SORRY. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

The best part is, my mom didn't even feel that one. So I'm totally the crazy earthquake lady now.

No comments: