Saturday, April 17, 2010

In defense of diapers

Ella has decided to potty train herself.

This is not something I want. Changing diapers is so much easier than living under constant fear of urine. And, also, you look like a total jackass saying, "do you have to go potty" every five minutes.

But Ella, who by the way is the most stubborn person in the world and I should have realized this when she decided to be born two weeks late, is totally over diapers. But she's also not into potties. So for the last week, the kid's been going through, I kid you not, eight pairs of "underpants" a day.

At night, it's the worst. THE WORST.
We fight about diapers versus non-diapers and I leave the room shaking, defeated and in tears. Every night!

And then deep down I think, holy crap, if she's this much of a brat now, I am so not ready for the night I tell her she isn't allowed to go see UB40 at the Sports Arena even though she already bought tickets and her friends are waiting outside in the white convertible Cabriolet. Oh, wait, what?