Friday, August 24, 2007

BFFs

In this week that we've been on vacation, something's happened.
You and DAAAD have become best friends.
You don't even call him DAAAD anymore. You say "Daddy," with the most perfect enunciation and respect for the word.
I think it has something to do with our second night in Ensenada.
You woke up in the middle of the night screaming. I kept putting you back in the crib, but DAAAD decided to change your diaper and then let you sleep in the bed with us. This wasn't the greatest of plans because suddenly there was no room for me and a kicking Ella, so I was sequestered to the couch in the sitting room.

In the morning, that was it. I was out of your life.

When DAAAD went to take a shower, I tried to get you to go to the balcony with me where we had a sweeping view of boats and pools and the ocean. But instead, you got your cup of milk and patiently waited outside the bathroom door until he came out.

Since we've been back home, when your BFF walks out of the room, you say "Daddy?" and follow him, even if it's to the kitchen to wash dishes.

When we drive in the car, you point at his head and say, "Daddy!" and laugh as if you're remembering all the great times you've had.
Like this time in Coronado.
I tried to take you in the water and you flipped out and didn't want anything to do with it. But when DAAAD carried you in the ocean, he took you so far out that his waist was covered and waves were splashing your face and it was the greatest thing you've ever seen.

No comments: