Saturday, January 26, 2008

Garin to Hall

When you were born, I still felt like me - Nina Garin, music and fashion writer who liked naps and vodka and watching movies I'd already seen.



The problem with that was Nina Garin was also kinda lazy.



Dinner meant microwaving a quesadilla or going out. Cleaning up meant, uh, nothing. And those habits stuck around even after you came around. Like, remember the time you had popcorn and string cheese for dinner?

But things changed when Ella arrived. Now I'm: Nina Hall, mother of two.

And, well, I worked pretty hard at being Nina Garin, so I figure I better apply the same kind of effort into Nina Hall.

So lately I've been embracing this mom stuff. Like now I am constantly washing dishes and doing laundry. And I make dinner from cookbook, things I never even heard of before: twice baked potatoes! vegetable rounds!

You know what? It's not so bad that I would rather listen to "Zoom, Zoom Riding in the Car" than the new Magnetic Fields album because I know that you will sing along during the "beep beep" part. And so what if I have not seen any of the movies nominated for an Oscar but I have watched every single episode of Teletubbies?

But even though I've come to embrace this mom stuff, I have to draw the line at the jeans.

1 comment:

Barbara Gavin said...

I will miss Nina Garin.

And remember housework is *way* over-rated.

http://www.kalimunro.com/If_I_Had_My_Life_To_Live_Over.html