Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Not-A-Mom Saturday

Over the weekend, I got a much-needed break from motherhood and went on what can best be described as an eating trip through Ensenada with my friends Derrik and Maya.

Here's what we did:

Stop 1: Fruterias Manzana
We got the exact same fruit salad you see in the picture and it was probably my favorite food of the day.

Stop 2: Hussong's
Because it was the most logical place to meet my Dad. By the time he showed up an hour later, we were a Bloody Mary and a Michelada up on him.
Much to my pleasant surprise, my dad didn't have a drink all afternoon.

Stop 3: Not-so-Baja Tacos
Maya took us to a house that tranforms into a taco shop on the weekends. But instead of carne asada, it served food found in deep Mexico, like nopales, goat meat and flor de calabaza quesadillas.

Stop 4: Rincon del Parque
Here's where we sampled a bunch of Ensenada wines, which I would go into detail about if I knew anything about wine. But I don't. And so they all tasted like wine to me.
They also had wonderful pizza. We got one with calamari and tiny octopus tentacles and another one featuring an over-easy egg.

Here's a video of it. It's actually supposed to be for my brother but you can all see it:



Stop 5: The presidential heads
Amazingly, we didn't eat anything during our touristy stop here. But we did buy a ticket to the giant, inflatable slide. Five rides for 15 pesos was a bit too many rides for me.

Stop 6: Muelle Tres
It killed me to walk by so many cheapie fish taco stands only to wind up at a nice restaurant. But I did have some really good swordfish, along with pillows of shrimp and tuna croquettes. If I was a fancy food person I would have loved it, but at this point all I wanted was a messy taco from a street somewhere.
Derrik promised that the taqueria next to his house in Tijuana would be perfect.

Stop 7: Starbucks
For the ride home. They had a Cajeta Latte that was so amazing.

Stop 8: Art show
Before going home, we went to a gallery by the border that featured a lot of interactive art, including this fun project:



That's me and Derrik taking hundreds of pictures of ourselves via a joystick camera.

Stop 9: Derrik's House
Where Taco Jazz was closed!

Stop 10: Jack in the Box
The San Ysidro Jack in the Box is also known as the place all us dumb-asses with no Sentri passes sit and wait for our friends who do have it.

The End!

2 comments:

Turista Libre said...

I've never gone on a road trip solely for the purpose of eating all damn day. It was wonderful. While I am thankful we convinced Hussongs (the birthplace of the margarita) to open 20 minutes early just for us, I do not recommend The Cost of Beans readers to sample their historic beverage immediately after sucking down a thermos of coffee. Because then it will taste like vomit.

But wasn't it innocently white of Maya and me to mistake a complete stranger for your dad while you were in the ladies' room? And wasn't it cute of him to respond by telling us that yes indeed he was Nina's dad and that he'll be right back after he parks the car?

And would a frat boy still be a frat boy if he didn't always travel in a frat pack?

Maya said...

Go easy, Derrik: there was method to our madness with re: Fake Nina's Dad. "Well, he's carrying keys" was our very sound justification for accosting him, I believe.