Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spin Crazy

Ella and I have discovered spinning.

I'll start with me. As this is the year I try to get back in shape, I joined the YMCA, a place with ridiculous amounts of spin classes on its schedule. So, on Monday, I went to my first one.

You need to know that this is a really big deal for me. See, back in 2001, my friend walked out of a spin class, crying in shame because it was harder than she imagined. A friend who was way more in-shape than me. So I always said there was no way I'd ever do that to myself.

But having kids makes your humiliation level rise by many, many notches. Like I wore a jacket to Ensenada that had a chocolate stain on it. And I didn't even care. So walking out of a stupid aerobics class seemed way less daunting than it once did.

Maybe that's why I decided to finally go for it. And I kind of loved it. I think I did. I mean I got up and went to a 6:30 a.m. class this morning. So we'll see.

But even better is Ella's kind of spinning.
She spins in circles for minutes at a time as if it's no big deal. She does it all the time. It's her new favorite thing to do. And of coure, it's always better when she's wearing a green bow on her head.

3 comments:

M said...

i LOVE you ella! —mops

Rachel said...

I once walked out of a hip hop aerobics class crying, because in my head I've been telling myself I'm a sweet dancer for years. Turns out choreography and I don't get along. This is my year for getting in shape too. I just want my old pants to fit, is that so wrong? I hope yours is going well!

Sarah Bellum said...

Spin class is the first exercise I don't hate. I can't tell if I enjoy it or if I just enjoy the hot guys who ride by me.