Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A completely new, albeit temporary, project

I am (technically) on vacation! And I have zero school tours until mid-January!

What does one do with all that free time?

Because I bought a copy of that book "Julie & Julia'" at a school fundraiser, and because my last cooking story is due the minute I get back to work, I'm inspired to do an experiment of my own.

So it's this: Can I make something fresh every day that I'm home?

For the last week or so we've been stocking up on Trader Joe's frozen food and not feeling guilty whatsoever. But then a foodie friend of mine casually mentioned that she doesn't do Trader Joe's. That just about blew my mind. What does it even mean?? We live off those tiny yogurts and Orange Chicken and honey pretzels and beet salads (and I dont even like beets normally).

She pointed out that practically everything at TJ is packaged, not fresh. And after she said it, I had a totally cliche lightbulb moment. And now my love affair with TJ has been tainted! It's not quite on Fresh and Easy levels, but almost.

The project, which doesn't have a cutesy name, is starting off with my friend Kristin teaching me how to make pistachio biscotti. This just happens to be coincidental, something we were going to do anyway. But why not use it as a jumping off point?

3 comments:

Jacky said...

bring some tomorrow!!

avantard said...

There's nothing wrong with packaged foods. We've been packaging things for centuries. Packaged does not equal processed (or overly processed, I should say).

Kristin Shea said...

Cranberry pistachio biscotti is going for $1.79 each in NYC's Whole Foods (and ours looks better)!