Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My defense

Right about now is when the kindergarten quest goes from informing people to kinda creeping them out.

I guess I haven't realized how intense this whole thing can seem to everyone but the six people in my equally-obsessed kinder email group. Lately I've been getting more questions about my time and motivation than about actual schools. And that's fine. I get it. It is weird and obnoxiously suburban.

But also what people forget is that I'm a reporter. Since I was 17-years-old I've been finding facts, gathering notes and writing about what I see. You can argue that it's really one of the few things I can do well. Instead of using my interview/note-taking skills for an article, this time I'm applying them to my own life.

I'll admit that I've gone to a school or two that I wouldn't seriously consider. But so very often, I think I'm done interviewing people for an article and then I'll make one more call, or approach one more family at an event, and thats often the interview that makes the story. I go to extra schools because I never know which one could be the right ending for this particular story.

January is almost here and that means one more month of this stuff. It means serious choices and big decisions that go all the way into where we're going to live.

So I'm giving everyone fair warning that things are going to get a whole lot crazier, but be assured, I've been training for this for a long time.

No comments: