Monday, July 18, 2011

A very brave tale

Look at this picture. What do you see?



Yes, a chocolate mouth. But that's not what I'm talking about. Look closer. AT HER EARS. Yes, those are earrings! Ella got her ears pierced today! Now she will be accepted by our Ensenada relatives.
(Joking! Sort of. I mean? We do get looks when we go to Mexico because 1. I'm not wearing makeup and 2. my kids don't have their ears pierced. But we're getting there!)

The thing is, it was actually Marina who was supposed to get her ears pierced because she's five-years-old. But as I'm slowly discovering, we've got a needle phobia on our hands.
When my normally sweet, almost shy daughter sees a needle coming toward her she will scream. Like those people who holler and thrash about in doctors' offices, freaking out the patients in the waiting room.

So to avoid such drama, Marina went on a well-timed trip to the bathroom while Ella sat on the chair and got holes punched in her ears. Marina was not there to see Ella's smile turn into a frown or hear the heaving sobs of pain afterward.

"Don't do it," Ella sniffed. "It hurts."

But Marina went ahead and took her seat. As soon as the very jaded lady at Claire's Boutique touched Marina's ears, however, that was it. She wanted nothing to do with it.

"I'll just wait for another day," she said, and hopped off the chair.

I have a feeling that day will never actually show up.


1 comment:

alex said...

Today was fun,let's do ladies who lunch more often.
Ella was for sure brave,and looks ADORABLE... and you are right... Marina may never have pierced ears, tongue, eye brow, lips nor any other parts I have omitted.
And about make-up. some people Need it, you are a natural beauty and don't.