Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cookies

Our city is on fire.

Even though we can't see the flames, they are all around us. The TV shows non-stop bad news and the mood around town is very scary.

Your school, like all the other schools, is closed. You and I are stuck inside. I don't want to open the windows because I don't want us breathing in all that ash and smoke. So we have watched hours of Signing Time and have finally found that Animal Planet channel, where you like looking at monkeys and meerkats.

But it's really stuffy in our house. And it's not big. So yesterday after we read every single one of your books - twice - I was at a loss. What can we do now? It's only 4:30 p.m. I can't put you to bed this early, can I?

And then, some weird 1950s maternal instinct hit me. I don't know where it came from. But the only solution to all the awfulness outside and our stir craziness inside, was warm chocolate chip cookies and milk.

We have a bag full of cookies leftover from my birthday in the freezer (thanks Tia Patty). I stuck a few in the oven, poured us a glass of milk, and for ten minutes, everything was OK.

No comments: