Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tradition

I once saw some comedian on TV who walked on stage and immediately sang:
"Sheket Bevakasha"
A few scattered peoplein the audience responded with, "Hey!"
Then the comic made a joke about how every single Jewish person in the room just outed themselves. And it was hilarious. Because any Jewish kid whose ever gone to Jewish school or camp learns the
"Be Quiet Please."
"Hey!"
call-and-response song.
You can be having lunch or playing tennis or reading a book and suddenly some cool type authority figure will sing out "She-ket Be-va-ka-sha!" which literally translates to be quiet, please.
And it's instinctual to respond, "Hey!" no matter what. You can't NOT do it. It's coded in Jewish genes. (Same for the Shabbat Shalom song.)

Now that Marina's in preschool, she's learning tons of new tunes. And every day I hear some random version of one. Like the fish song goes something about "Fish, fish, fish in the water. OH NO!"
Or there's the pizza one? "I am a pizza, please eat me." Maybe?

Today after school, Marina sang "Sheket Bevakasha" in that familiar singsongy melody.
I immediately did they "Hey!" fist pump, thinking it would be, like, some inside joke with myself.

Turns out, though, that age 2 is not too early to be indoctrinated. Because at the exact same time that I said "Hey!" I look in the rearview mirror and Marina was doing it too. Fist pump and all.

6 comments:

M said...

i love you guys. —mops

susanne said...

All I have to say is what is mops doing up at 4:28 am????Sheket!

Jacky said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacky said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacky said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

M said...

i love you, susanne! "HEY!"