Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Great expectations

Tomorrow I tour a place called The Museum School and I am really, really excited about it.

Remember the idyllic elementary school experience I described a few posts ago? The one where PE was held at Balboa Park and in music class we learned how to harmonize to "Stray Cat Strut?" Where we broke in our hiking shoes for a class trip to Yosemite by hiking up and down Laurel Street?
It was at this exact location.

Back then it was called Beth Israel and it was a private school run by the synagogue next door. (Beth Israel has since moved to UTC and it only has a preschool, which we don't go to because have you sat in Golden Triangle traffic before?)

But the old building now houses The Museum School, a charter that's heavily involved with the arts. I've been very intrigued with the place, especially after going to some of its fundraisers that feature amazing local artists, designers and restauranteurs. It seems like a great community of parents and teachers.

Tomorrow I get to see what it's really all about. I'm going in fully aware that I'm putting unfair expectations on the place. I mean, I know it's not the same - but I'm hoping that it's just as happy an atmosphere that I remember from my time there.

We'll see tomorrow if that's the case.

2 comments:

Douglas said...

Nina, i pray that you get pick. I heard it's a great charter school. Doug and I have some luck in raffles so sending our luck to yours!

Douglas said...

that wasn't Doug...it's Lanie by the way