Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Someone has to get picked . . . why not me?

Museum School was great. Amazing. Spectacular.

I saw things happening in that kindergarten that I haven't seen in any other classrooms - lots of singing, absolutely no chaos and the cutest way to learn the alphabet, ever.

It was almost too good to write about. Seriously.

There's only about 20 spots open and more than 200 kids trying to get in. It's all chosen by a random lottery so there's nothing I can do to help my chances except what I've done.

The place looks like what I remember, down to the clocks with Hebrew letters hanging on the walls and the floor that gets too slippery when it rains. But it also has it's own vibe thanks to the bright green and orange walls, a sweet little garden and one of the coolest principals around.

Here's other things I liked: the hours are perfect for my schedule, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; there's only 170 kids total in the school; they still do PE at Balboa Park; there's a kitchen/cooking class and sewing and tap and drama and gamelan instrument and art and math and writing and just about everything you'd want in a school. I also liked that the 6 to 6 program was held in a classroom rather than a giant playground where it's easy for kids to go unsupervised.

What I wasn't crazy about was the library, which looked EXACTLY like it did when I was there - just a few shelves of books and more of like an empty meeting space. There's a lot of construction happening on that block. And . . . I really can't think of anything else.

So, now I wait for the lottery pick, which happens in mid-February.

And in the meantime? Well, I'll keep going on tours. I've never won any sort of lottery or raffle in my life, and while I'd like to finally break that streak, I sure can't count on it.

1 comment:

Barbara Gavin said...

Someday when you have a minute, send me the Museum School address and a name of someone there. We have a book sale at Christmas every year and I am very sure we could help them with their library.