Saturday, October 9, 2010

A moment of thanks

There's something I haven't mentioned yet and it's this: there is already a kindergarten where my kids go to school. In fact, it goes all the way to 8th grade.

I love the place where they are right now. It's a completely loving environment, I was raised with many of the parents who send their kids there and I feel like the education is top-notch. I couldn't ask for anything more.
(Well, except for fewer holidays - I never realized my people had so many occasions to take a day off.)

Sometimes I feel like after I write about a new kindergarten, it makes things awkward when friends from our school read about it. And I just want to say that I'm so grateful for the relationships we've formed there - especially with the teachers - and it's going to be pretty painful to leave.

But we do have to leave.

Tuition almost doubles for kindergarten. It's already a pretty big strain to send two kids at the preschool price - doubling it would be the end of fun at our house. There would be no gymnastics lessons, no new dresses at Old Navy, no stop at Starbucks for "chocolate/vanilla milk in a box," nothing.

We could apply for a scholarship, I know. It is something that's been in the back of my mind - especially after yesterday's incident where a man shot bullets into a Carlsbad elementary school.

So, I guess, really, anything could happen.

But whatever the outcome, I guess I just wanted to take a minute to recognize the amazing place that takes care of my girls each day and lets me do my work without ever having to worry about their well-being. I would name it, but if you hadn't already figured out, I've got stranger danger issues.

The school has helped shape my daughters into the strong, funny, imaginative little people they're becoming. Thank you.

1 comment:

Barbara Gavin said...

Great post. And it choked me up. We love your funny imaginative girls. And you. And whats-his-name.