Thursday, January 13, 2011

Deconstructing the options

This school choice thing is confusing. And because my national readership (of one) has requested I explain how the system works in San Diego, here we go:

1. Go to my neighborhood school.
If I chose this option, I do nothing but walk over to the office, register and I'm in. Likelihood: medium to low.

2. Charter
Charters are public schools that govern themselves. From what I understand, they get funded by the district but as long as they keep test scores up, they can hire their own teachers and teach their own curriculum. These are controversial because often they take over low-performing schools and the teachers don't have to be union.
Some, however, have such innovative programs that they have very long waiting lists for maybe 15 to 25 spots. So this is where the lottery comes in.

You apply to each charter school individually and they basically pick names out of a hat, just like in the movies "The Lottery" and "Waiting for Superman." I have my name in four lotteries and find out in February if we get in.

Likelihood: ?? It all depends on how many parents are also in the lottery.

3. Choice
In San Diego you have the option to go to any school in the district as long as there's space available. Some schools, called magnets, have specialties like communications or sports. They're required to have diverse populations and bus in kids from lower-income areas. Others on the choice list are just neighborhood schools with good reputations.

The Choice application requires you to rank your top five schools - regular or magnet - in order and you're guaranteed one of the five. But only one. So that's why I've been touring so much. I want to be absolutely confident in my decision.

My tentative order: Benchley/Weinberger (which is a communications magnet by my house so chances are on the lower side), La Jolla Elementary, Hearst, Dailard and Muir? Maybe? Likelihood of that happening: medium.

4. Stay where we are
Private schools most definitely will not have 30 students in one class. I won't have to worry about shenanigans and bullies in after school programs. Likelihood: Depending on financial aid, high.

Phew. I need a beer.

No comments: