Wednesday, January 12, 2011

School tours bonanza, day three, part one

The only reason I toured Marvin Elementary is because it's my neighborhood school and I didn't want to do this project without even checking it out.

And, OF COURSE, I loved it. All this work, all these posts and the school that's right in front of me is the one I like best (so far). How did my life turn into a Nora Ephron movie?

I was immediately impressed when I showed up and they required everyone to sign in on this computer that takes your picture and then prints out a badge with your name and image on it. You also had to sign out. So that's a pretty secure campus.

The tour was led by an actual kindergarten teacher, so she was able to answer the specific questions parents had. The principal made an appearance at the beginning to talk about the school's junior-k program. Marvin is one of the only schools with a free JK program, which Marina doesn't need but Ella definitely will.

The school was very clean, very green and well maintained. They also have a dedicated science classroom and their curriculum is very science-oriented. They have P.E. three times a week, which actually is more than most places. It's run by the kinder teacher, so it's more about getting the kids active than a regimented program.

There are two kinder classes. The one belonging to the tour guide was fantastic. There was an area that had bleacher seats arranged in a U for story time. It sounds weird, but it actually felt cozy and sort of ensures kids are paying attention, not just rolling around on the floor. She said she had two advanced readers and they were sitting together doing a separate project. The other kinder class, though, didn't give me a great feeling. It was one of the most chaotic rooms I've seen so far. It was small and cluttered and didn't leave the best impression.

The JK was really warm and happy. The principal said it's where younger kids learn to be students. They seemed to be doing Kindergarten type work with letters, but there was definitely more coloring going on. The kids don't sit at a table for longer than 15 minutes.

Other good things: beautiful library, giant garden area with compost, science class has lizards and bugs. And best of all? We can walk there. At 8:45 I put chicken in the crock pot, left at 8:50 and still got there way before the 9 a.m. start time. I never went to a neighborhood school, but I like the idea of it.

Negatives: it seems like the school is as good as the teacher you get, which I'm sure is the case everywhere, but this seemed to be an extreme example. Not very Jewish, though they do get a few students. Going to Marvin would tie us to our current house for longer than we really want to stay.

In the end, I'm very surprised at the quality of my neighborhood school. And if no other option works out, I *think* I'm confident with what we have.

1 comment:

Kristin Shea said...

Finally. The day I've been waiting for. Let's not forget that Marvin has some stellar alumni...and you have some serious connections with the PTA there!