Monday, January 31, 2011

The end

I'm having trouble believing that it's all over. There are no more schools to tour.

I mean, I guess there's always one more place I can visit - the language schools or the Tierrasanta ones - but I've seen all I need to see and I think I'm ending on a good note.

My journey ends with Sunset View, a school that sits high on a hill in Point Loma and has the most spectacular view of the Pacific Ocean. You can watch the waves crash and foam up and do all the oceany things you see in a movie. It was by far the most beautiful location of any place I've visited.

The school in general was pretty typical in the curriculum it offers. Thanks to being in a million-dollar neighborhood, the community picks up the tab on a lot of extras, like drama classes, grassy play areas and teacher aides. Being a true beach town, however, the vibe was much more laid back than La Jolla. The money isn't quite so obvious.

The school goes from K through 4th, which is how all Point Loma schools work. Then they do grades 5 and 6 somewhere else, then middle, then high. I'm not sure if I'm breaking it down accurately, but you get the point. I like that system and think it's smart to keep those ages isolated.

Other observations: great kinder teacher led the tour; they have nap time until January; they assess incoming kinders like at La Jolla; did I mention the view?

Sunset View is a great, small school that is Choice friendly and also has good hours (9:05 to 3:35). It's just so very out of the way. Though I
think making that drive along the ocean would be pretty soothing versus the traffic-heavy trek to La Jolla.

Overall I give it an A minus. I just have to figure out if it works for our circumstances.
(Why is this the only school I've actually graded?)

Now it's time to fill in my Choice paperwork. Stay tuned for the final results . . .

No comments: