Tuesday, October 28, 2008

En Espanol

For the last three months, I've been really lazy about speaking to Marina in Spanish.
I think it's because she has such an amazing vocabulary in English and we have actual conversations, so I just want to talk to her all the time.

"How was your work, mommy? Did you have a good work?"
"Yes, I did, thank you. How was school today?"
"Good. I played with my friends."


But lately I've been noticing that Marina's understanding less and less when I speak to her in Spanish. She only can say individual words, not sentences or even active verbs like "eat" or "play" or "run."

So I need to stop that, and not even because I want her to be able to communicate with her family. I mean, come on, pretty much everyone in the family is married to a gringo, and Spanish stopped being the main language a long, long time ago.

I just want her and Ella to have the advantage of being bilingual, of being able to have a bigger world view.

It's not easy, especially since I tend to only speak English when Matt is around. But this is my attempt to start fresh.



Orale.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love that she asks you about work. So sweet.

Barbara Gavin said...

No, Marina, I had a sucky work: they don't appreciate your poor overworked mother.
Good thing I don't have kids, eh?

kel said...

Can you speak to me only in Spanish? I definitely need to brush up and need the advantage of being bilingual.