Friday, February 11, 2011

Anti-climactic lottery week

This is the week three of the four schools I applied for are doing their lotteries: SD Co-Op on Tuesday, Museum on Wednesday and Urban Discovery on Thursday.

When I'd think about this week, my stomach would get all knotted up. Even when I watched that movie "The Lottery," the actual lottery scene had me feeling so uncomfortable, I seriously hunched over with dread when they weren't calling out the names I wanted to hear.

But now that we're moving, I'm kind of feeling like those people on "Let's Make a Deal," remember that game show? They'd offer a contestant something fabulous and then they'd say stuff like "Yes, $100 is nice, but wouldn't you like to see if there's something better behind door number two?"

I feel like I've already taken the $100 and this week I'm about to see what's behind the curtain.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I found your blog by searching Xara Garden School. I too am stuck in lottery hell. I know that they are all longshots because we are not in the city school district. We will have a second grader next year and with class size increases and the policy of teaching the test rather than teaching, we have happily looked at other options. We are crossing our fingers this week but are fairly certain that we will be homeschooling next year. Good luck on your journey!
Cheri

nina said...

Good luck! Did you apply to Xara? I didn't know where they're relocating, so I didn't.

callmecass said...

Xara isn't in the city school district either, though. Their charter is in Lakeside. So maybe you have a better chance? I still haven't heard anything about a new location, though - have you?

(We didn't apply there either, Nina.)