Sunday, February 20, 2011

Deep analysis: Glee

One night during bath time, I randomly sang "I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Out of My Hair" as I was shampooing the girls' hair.

They looked at me, then looked at each other with an expression that said, "so this is what crazy must be." It got much worse when I tried to explain that there wasn't an actual man in their hair, and even if you did wash a man out of your hair, he'd be totally unharmed in the process.

The questions wouldn't stop, so to clear things up, I decided to show them a YouTube clip from "South Pacific." It basically blew their minds. Movies with singing! And choreographed dancing! And adults are doing it, not just kids!

OK, so, they like musicals, I thought, I guess I should show them a clip from Glee. I found the Riahnna "Umbrella"/"Singin' in the Rain" mash-up because the girls are familiar with the "Umbrella" song. (Perhaps because it mentions Ella's name a million times.)

So they're watching the Glee kids do their thing all quietly and then this happened -

Marina: Is this a movie?
Me: No, it's a new TV show. South Pacific is more like a classic movie.
Marina: Which girl is Riahnna? I don't see her.
Me: No, she's not in this. This is just a show where they take people's songs and sing them themselves.
Ella: Hey! That's not fair, that's called stealing.

2 comments:

susanne said...

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-

Barbara Gavin said...

Nina, now you can rent videos like Mary Poppins and keep them entranced for hours.

Oh, yeah, not videos...DVDs.