Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A place by the sea

This is the story of how I said goodbye to my (relatively) roomy suburban house in favor of a two-bedroom condo by the sea.

Something I do pretty often is check Craigslist for rentals. At first, when I thought I wanted to go to Hearst, I'd look for places in Del Cerro. Then Benchley/Weinberger had me browsing through San Carlos. Sometimes, for fun, I search through neighborhoods that are way out of my league.

Except this one time, two days after I turned in my Choice application, a listing popped up. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, two parking spaces in La Jolla. And not, like, UCSD La Jolla, but right downtown, blocks away from the cliffs. It was only $100 more than what we pay and would definitely put us in the La Jolla Elementary boundary.

So I called. And when I got there, it was more ideal than on paper. Small, yes. But so close to the school, you can see it from the balcony. Close to cafes and restaurants and groceries, all within easy walking distance. Then Matt went over to see it even though he was sick, cranky and really not into it. And he loved it.

Before we knew it, we were signing a lease and putting money down. We did this one week before the charter lotteries, which I still am a bit nervous about. But it's official, we're moving. I've been in San Diego all my life and I've never lived by the ocean. It's exciting and scary and crazy and impulsive all at the same time.

It also means we've basically locked in the school. There are still some things I have to figure out regarding private school, or the one-off chance we get into Explorer or Museum.

But really. I am done worrying. Now it's time to concentrate on enjoying our new journey as a beach family.

9 comments:

DDH said...

Enjoy the new journey - even though it means a little more packing than just for a weekend at the beach.

susanne said...

Nina, When things are meant to be, they easily fall into place.I am so happyfor you, Matt and the girls.
XOXO

Barbara Gavin said...

I love La Jolla - have done conferences up there...

Kim said...

I love this! How fun to live by the beach and near great schools. Sounds like a win/win to me!

hooliah2 said...

Pannikin!:)

callmecass said...

Well allrighty then! Sounds like an awesome place, and a relief to have a plan that doesn't involve lotteries and Choice and finger-crossing.

Katie said...

Way to go fellow Craigslist day-dreamer!!! That's how I found our place in Tahoe. Its crazy how it can happen so quick...I am so happy for you, Matt & your girls!

Turista Libre said...

Estoy de acuerdo con tu mama. ¡Felicidades!

hilahil said...

so, so awesome! we'll meet you for a playdate at the LJ rec center!