Saturday, February 23, 2008

Caring too much about music

Oh my God.
Why am I getting all emo about the littlest things? First clothes. Now this.

We went to Trader Joe's today. Just you and me.
The thing Ella and Daddy do not know is that you and me, well, we have the greatest time when we're in the car. I think I've trained your ear to like my music and we listen to certain songs over and over again and laugh and point to billboards and trolleys.
So, because last night was particularly rough with Ella, I decided we would go to the La Mesa Trader Joe's, which is an entire 7 miles longer than the Hillcrest one, meaning 7 more miles of fun.

Because you've been on an Edith Piaf fix, I thought we'd have to listen to the same song we've been hearing all week. But you changed it up tonight and wanted to hear PJ Harvey. I mean, yeah, it's on the mix CD that I made - the one with the Marina approved indie rock. But I never force the PJ Harvey on you. Usually you'll hear two seconds and decide either "ya! yes!" or a singsongey "no."

Tonight, you said "ya! yes!" to PJ and made me replay the loud parts. Which, as anyone knows, are my favorite parts.
And you'd think that's why I am all emotional. But it's not.

It was already dark on our ride home and for the first time in the history of the Marina Mix, you said "ya! yes!" to Air's "Kelly Watch the Stars."
Maybe because you just learned the word stars? Or because it sounds kind of robotic and spacey? But something about it made you want to hear it over and over again. And when we pulled up to the driveway you said, "No Ella. No Daddy."
So, because I was feeling overly sentimental, I drove around the block.
Just you and me. No Daddy. No Ella. Silent and happy, listening to music, looking at our very own stars.

2 comments:

M said...

lovely, nina.

i had a moment like that with matthew... sitting in a cold hallway near a window, with him on my lap, looking out through icy glass at the night stars. we were on the landing, the top step actually, and having a moment that was ours alone. barnaby was asleep, so was doug. theo had not been born. just matthew and me, my chin resting on the top of his head, his tiny back pressed against my chest. i have never forgotten that moment. i love it still.

you will always remember this moment with marina. always. forever.

i guess i think that's the miracle of such unconditional loving...

its forever-ness.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.