Saturday, May 24, 2008

Your first song

I'm not sure if you realize this, but my job is writing about music. So you can say that music is kind of a big deal to me. Also, the first time I met your Dad was at a local music show (Convoy). So you can say that music is kind of a big deal to him, too.

So, along with your kiddie tunes, you also like bands purely because of parental influences: Pinback (me), Clem Snide (Dad), Mariachis (me and maybe it's just in your genes?).

When we listen to music you usually just bob your head and say the lyrics. But there's never a melody involved. I mean, I don't know if kids your age are supposed to sing yet? But then they show those clips of Christina Aguilera when she was 2 and she was already over-singing, so. Um? The point is you don't do melodies.

OK, so ever since your Uncle Alex (Akis) graduated from CSU San Marcos, you've been requesting one song only: the graduation march. For the last week you make us sing that tune over and over again and at the end, we have to say Alex's name the way they said it at the ceremony: ALEXANDER GARIN!!!

Also, I found my SDSU graduation cap, which is so amazing because you can actually play graduation. You put on your cap and walk around as we sing the song. Which, as a parent you would think would be pretty exciting, but whenever I say: MARINA HALL instead of Alex's name, you tell me to stop. So it's actually not as excitingly ambitious as one would imagine.

But tonight, after eating way too much cake at your cousin Ezra's birthday party, you came home all revved up and ready to graduate. Except this time you sang!

Na! Na na na na na! Na! Na na na na. . .

I always thought your first song would be, like, Bingo or Twinkle Twinkle, maybe even PJ Harvey. But no. Your first song was the graduation march.

And if for the rest of your life we talk to you a lot about college, just think back to this day and realize: you made this happen.

1 comment:

susanne said...

No photo op? Where are those papz when you need them